At the time of sentencing, a judge can order an offender to pay a certain amount of money to the victim or victims if they have experienced emotional harm, or had property lost or damaged as a result of a crime.

The judge decides whether reparation should be made and how much the reparation will be. The amount will be based on the level of harm done and the offender’s ability to pay.

If reparations are ordered
As a victim of the crime, you will be sent a reparation notice. This will let you know how much the offender has been ordered to pay. They usually have 28 days to pay it to the court or to arrange to pay in instalments. The judge can give instructions about what is required.

If you feel the reparation ordered isn’t enough
You can take the offender to court for any extra amount you think is owed to you for the harm done. A lawyer or your local Community Law Centre can help you.

Receiving payments
The offender pays the court and the court will send payment to you. To organise how you would like to be paid (eg. direct credit) call 0800 909 909 with your bank account details.

To talk to someone about any issues about getting your reparation
Call 0800 909 909 or email

If the offender doesn't pay
In this situation, the court will take compulsory deductions from the offender's wages, benefit, or bank account, seize and sell their property or stop them leaving the country until the full amount has been paid.

Other useful information and websites
More about Reparation for Victims,  by the Ministry of Justice


Your rights as a victim